Bobok, Ltd. BOBOK-4, vinyl issue spring '90; CD issue in autumn '92 with 2 extra tracks. CD also released in Germany by Musical Tragedies, MT-190. Jack's story: "Being the studio junkie/music addict that I am, I accumulated a lot of experimental (and less so) tracks over the 80's, gamely trying to play all the instruments. I took the best of these and made a tape, printed some covers and gave away about 70 copies. Bill Sassenberger at Toxic Shock heard it and offered to put it out on his "other" label Bobok, and suddenly I had a solo album! A mixture of 4-track stuff from my basement (but I had a VERY GOOD 4-track) and 8-track stuff from Reciprocal. Much help came from Greg Gilmore, a drummer/percussionist who had played in 10 Minute Warning with Daniel, played 2 gigs with Skin Yard and later joined Mother Love Bone. The 'thanx and inspiration' list on this record is pretty revealing; that's all I'm going to say about it." Some of the more amusing liner notes are reproduced below.
Out of print... Copies are available here!
Interested in Realaudio clips?
Cover art © 1989 by Jim Blanchard. (Write to Jim at P.O. Box 20321, Seattle, Wa 98102 and request the Beef Eye Publications catalog. Do it before it's too late.)
Jack Endino: guitar, bass, drums, vocals and percussion,
Greg Gilmore: drums on 6 and 14, percussion on 6 and 12, bass on 11.
2. X-Echo 1
3. Create What You Fear [Now it can be told: the inspiration here (musically, not lyrically) was Motorhead's "Jailbait".]
4. Folks, Let's Nebulate
5. Big Seth "Thanx to Matt Cameron for letting me play his drums when he left them set up overnite at Reciprocal."
6. Sideways Savannah [Endino/Gilmore] "Title by Greg. Well: Scrap 2x4's...laid out like a xylophone with Greg and I on either end, playing simultaneously and miked in stereo. We improvised bass/drums together on top of this percussion track; I added the implied gtr track much later. No click track was used..." [Note: compare to the first song on the Tuatara album.]
7. Find the Key "Thanx again to Matt for letting me use his drums. Daniel House co-wrote the bass line."
8. X-Echo 2
9. Naive Bid for HM Stardom #2 "Wrote and recorded this a long time ago; it causes me great amusement now. 4-trk." [One can only hope that it will do likewise for the listener.]
10. Angle of Attack
11. Time is Running Out [Gilmore/Endino....improvised and then overdubbed.]
12. Post-X [Endino/Gilmore...improvised] "Jack: Gtr and Bass. Greg: wooden box and other miscellaneous percussion [found objects]."
13. Naive Bid #1 (CD only) "Well there had to be a track with a drum machine, so here it is, the mighty TR-808 no less." [Pretty strange to hear 808 in a rock context, but it was recorded in 1984 when I didn't know any better.]
14. Bold Leaps of Unreason...(Part II) (CD bonus only) [Endino/Gilmore] "Greg walked into my basement one day, and with hardly more than a hello we just started jamming, and I left the tape on as I so often do. Later I realized that if I could just follow the totally improvised structure that resulted, I could overdub the implied bass line and another guitar and maybe have something that made sense, in a stream-of-consciousness sort of way. Took a while to learn all the 'parts' of the 'song', but here's the result. It's admittedly meandering but it captures some quality that I value..." [i.e., perfect for a CD bonus track!]
Last Word from the liner notes: "OPTIMAL LISTENING CONDITIONS FOR THIS RECORD MIGHT NOT BE APPROVED BY YOUR COMMUNITY." Uh, right...
Go to Next Record...
Return to Skin Yard Main Page
Jack Endino's Home Page
Some Skin Yard band photos are in Jack's Photo Album.
Design & © 1997-2002 Endino